Thursday, October 20, 2016

It's Not Always as it Seems . . . by Nancy


The Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Trim Organizer has been on Gina's website for quite some time. As one of the most popular items for storing trims, ribbons and laces, you may decorate this with paint or papers to coordinate with your craft area.

I wanted to use this in a different way as well as thinking ahead to Christmas gifts. This piece comes with 12 trim cards that I will use as photo holders. With both sides being used, it will give me room for at least 24 photos.

The Trim Organizer, when put together, measures 11" wide X 5" tall. The included cards measure 6.5" tall x 4 3/8" wide. So if you trim down a 6" X 4" photo just a tiny bit, it will fit perfectly on the center of each card.

Wanting to keep this a bit neutral, I chose to use Prima's Timeless Memories papers.


Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts products are extremely easy to put together. The Trim Organizer uses the notch method. Each notch matches perfectly with a slot.


Decorate the inside of each piece first. Measure *inside the box* without covering the notches or slots. See below and note that I will be cutting the paper to 5" - not covering the notches with paper.


Here's the inside pieces covered leaving the slots open (not covered with paper).


Add the center piece first, followed by the two side pieces. Glue into place using a strong wet glue such as Beacon 3-in-1.


I add wet adhesive to all the notches:


Once the entire box is glued together, it's time to decorate the outside. Measure the outside dimensions again as they will be a bit larger than the inside dimensions. Cover with your favorite paper.


And now for the trim. I chose to use three different Gypsy Soul Laser Cut trims. 

I used: 

and painted them with Modern Masters Copper Metallic paint with an overlay of DecoArt Patina Green Antiquing Cream.


I like the rusted iron look these paints give.  After adhering the *Wrough Iron* pieces to the front, back and sides of the box, I wanted to add *pulls* to the cards by using the Victorian Corners 2. I painted them with the same paints as shown above before gluing to the card tops.


Although I did this project using neutral papers, I can imagine this in Christmas papers with photos of the Kids or GrandKids, decorated for a special anniversary or with black and white photos for an amazing home display.


Thanks for checking out my newest Gypsy Soul Laser Cut project.

See you next month!
Nancy Wethington

No comments:

Post a Comment