Friday, May 12, 2017

The Dark Parlour

Goodmorrow fellow crafters! Jess here today with a miniature tutorial on how I created The Dark Parlour. I've combined GSLC's Gothic Dresser and the Fancy Chair to create this scene.




I apply white PVA glue to the back of the mirror piece of the dresser to stick the aluminum foil to. I tried to get the foil to stay as flat as possible, but you can go for a more crinkle effect - it's not going to give you much of a reflection either way, so it's really up to your own ideals.


Instead of cutting the foil with scissors, just use your fingers - it pushes off around the edges so much easier.


Then I base coated every other piece in black.


I took some 1/2 inch pink insulation foam for the back and some 1 inch insulation foam for the base to create the display.


I used 1 inch balsa wood to surround and top the base for a wood floor - its wonderful to sand and I used my sanding block for it - go nice and easy as it's easy to over sand.


I used burnt umber paint to paint the balsa wood. I painted sparsely and it looks more like a stained wood that way. 


I used a nice damask scrapbook paper as the wallpaper and affixed it with a gluestick. 


For the chipboard pieces, I covered them with white PVA glue and then immediately covered them with the paint of my choice to create my crackle effect.



I used a really nice bright turquoise blue which I normally absolutely love, but I wasn't feeling it this time, so I hummed and hawed about what to do - and the time of the unsure crafter occurred. 


So I took some cheap gold paint from the dollar store and painted one coat over top and it was miraculously the cure. I don't know why I did it, but it worked and it looked good against the damask wallpaper and the blue still showed through and I was happy.


Then I took a baby wipe and cut a strip to go on the dresser as a decoration.


Added pointed ends, I painted it and glued it to the top of the dresser.


Then I took some dollhouse bricks and painted them green to use as handles for the dresser.

Final pictures below:
















Materials
Gothic Dresser
Fancy Chair 1:12 Scale

No comments:

Post a Comment