Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Day of the Dead Frame by Lora



Hello everyone! Lora here with my last project for Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts as a guest designer. It has been a boat load of fun and I want to thank Gina for letting me play!

This weeks piece is all about the very cool Victorian Frame and Easel that I've transformed into a Halloween-ish Day of the Dead frame. I love all the bright colors on the skulls made of sugar and a hundred other medium nowadays to celebrate the holiday and I wanted to paint my version of them on the frame.
It really lends itself to this style of painting with all it's pierced swirls and curlicues.


This project is really straight forward....just the frame and some paint. I mostly used Ceramcoat Matte Acrylic Paints. The first thing was to prime everything in a coat of gesso, and then I painted the back piece of the frame orange.


Everything else got a good coat of black and I gave it a lot of time to dry completely. Like about fifteen minutes, because that's a long time for me. Maybe in dog years it's about an hour and a half.


After that, it was mostly painting around the edges of the pierce work, emphasizing the shapes. I used mostly bright shades of green and purple with a little red and accents of white to make things pop.

 

This guy was hanging around on my work table and wanted to get into the pictures....


For the easel that the frame is resting on I drew (in pencil) the repeated flower design that is in the center of each side of the frame and painted it green to match the frame. I added some dots and a couple of curlicues that help tie both pieces together.

I really like that you can turn the frame long-ways to fit a different shape picture. I plan on using this frame to show off my business card at my market table this Halloween.



SUPPLIES from GSLCuts

Additional Supplies
Ceramcoat Matte Acrylic Paint
Gesso
Golden Black acrylic paint

No comments:

Post a Comment