Friday, May 6, 2016

Making a Room Box - Part Three by Jessica

This week will be a tad heavy on the pictures, as I've accomplished a lot for this big ol' box of mine. If you've been following along (and I hope you have!), you know I've been working with one of the basic room box designs from GSLC and building an old, decayed room inside. This week, you find out: This is the office of private eye, Detective Sam Slade (based off of the detective from The Maltese Falcon).

This is the whole box as it stands currently.


I've added nail marks to the floor, to add an extra layer of realism to the room.


The door has been finished off, dry brushed and doorknob added.


The private investigators license and some pictures of New York City in the 1930's on the walls.


Some old copper pipes, oxidized over time. Made from drinking straws.


Photo of the Waldorf Astoria in New York, New York - 1930's.


Private eye license for Sam Slade.


The old radiator, painted over and aged with a crackle medium. Radiator is a metal dollhouse miniature from Dolls House Emporium.


Close up of the radiator and crackle effect.


Old ruddy clock, made from a button and a print out. More oxidized pipes by the door.


Oxidized pipe close-up. Straws were painted copper first and then brush with a turquoise paint.


Door knob is made from an ornate bead and cereal box card for the base.


The ceiling was first painted a tan colour, and then a water drop effect I used to create a water damaged ceiling, to add further age to the piece.


Photo of the statue of liberty, circa 1930's.


The wallpaper is stained and splattered, old and mildew-ridden. I'm hoping to give this piece the look of a truly aged detectives office - perhaps a detective who doesn't get many cases any more.

Thanks for joining me this week - next week I'll be finishing off the roombox by adding the final furniture and bits and bobs, so check back again!

Materials Used:


3 comments:

  1. The whole room is amazing. I'm coveting that radiator though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! This is totally spectacular!! I am addicted to creating room boxes the last few months and I absolutely LOVE where you are going with this!! I am a new follower and can't wait to see more!!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just amazing! Definitely a fun little house for some borrowers!!!

    ReplyDelete