Wednesday, March 11, 2015

We Danced by Guest Designer Barb Black










Hello! Barb Black
here again with my second Guest Designer post.






 


I am often asked
where my inspiration comes from. My answer never changes; it is always “from
everywhere and everything.” In this case, the inspiration for this piece came
from a dream I had.






For this piece, I
began by coating my canvas board with gesso and while it was still wet, used
the paint to adhere scraps of old sheet music. Once dry, I coated it with
Liquitex gloss gel and let it dry overnight.






I sponged some
watered down blue acrylic paint around the canvas, then stamped extra musical
notes all around. I then stamped the feathers and butterflies. For the metal
leafing, I smeared a little more of the gloss gel across onto the canvas with
my finger and set the leafing in place. I left it alone for a few minutes and
then went over it with a stiff brush to remove any excess.








Okay… background
all set. Bring on the dancing girl! I started by coating the limbs in white
acrylic paint. Once that was dry, I brushed on the Distress crackle paint - I
wanted to give it an antique look. After the crackle paint dried, I smeared
some brass-toned acrylic paint into the cracks and wiped of any excess with a
slightly damp cloth.






I painted the body
with a green acrylic paint and once dry stamped the harlequin pattern on it
with StazOn black ink. I added a bit of gold ribbon for the belt and some green
rhinestones for the collar.






For the doll’s
face, I began by painting it with white acrylic paint. Once that had dried, I
stamped on the face image. I completed it by adding a couple of small feathers
and a green rhinestone to match the collar.






From there, all I
had to do was assemble everything. I poked holes where I wanted to put the
brads for the arms and legs, and then attached those. The head is simply glued
on. I used mounting tape on the head and body to attached the doll to my
background. That kept her arms and legs free to dance.








I’m really happy
with the whimsy of this piece and how well it captured the feeling I had in my
dream. There’s just no telling what will inspire you or where it can take you!













‘Til next week,
Happy Crafting!













Gina’s Designs
Products Used


















Rubber Stamps Used






Feather by Fred B.
Mullett






Prediction No. 31
by Leave Memories






Girl face by
Limited Edition






All other stamps
by Tim Holtz













Other Products
Used






Canvas board






White gesso






Acrylic paint -
various colors






Mona Lisa
variegated metal leaf






StazOn inks






Tsukineko Delicata
Gold Ink






Liquitex gloss gel






Ranger Distress
Crackle Paint - Clear Rock Candy






Brass brads






Feathers






Rhinstones






Mounting tape











No comments:

Post a Comment